Differences Between Gen Zeds Vs. Millennials
There are a few key reasons marketers must understand the differences between Gen Zeds and Millennials. For one, these two groups represent very different stages in life. Gen Zers are still young, while Millennials are in their 30s and 40s. The age difference means they have different needs, wants, and priorities. Gen Zers (The Generation Z) grew up in a completely different world than Millennials. They are the first generation to grow up with social media and constant access to the Internet. The accessibility of technology has shaped their behavior and expectations in ways that previous generations haven’t experienced. Businesses need to understand Gen Zeds to craft compelling digital marketing strategies and adapt to the behavior and preferences of the growing Gen Z consumers.
Finally, as the two largest generations currently alive, understanding their differences is essential for any business that wants to stay relevant and appeal to the broadest possible audience.
So, what are the key differences between Gen Zeds and Millennials? Here are 10 of the most important ones: (related: Top 10 Traits of Filipino Millennials)
- Age: As mentioned above, Gen Zers are children or young adults, while Millennials are in their 30s and 40s. Age is a significant difference that should be considered when marketing to either group.
- Life Stages: Gen Zers are still in school or just starting their careers, while many Millennials are established in their jobs and may even have their own families. Priorities affect what they care about and what they’re looking for from products and brands.
- Social Media: Gen Zers grew up with social media, while Millennials didn’t. This difference significantly impacts how Gen Z communicates and interacts with brands.
- Mobile Usage: Gen Zers are much more likely to use their smartphones as their primary device, while Millennials are more likely to use laptops or desktop computers. Tech maturity and exposure affect how marketers need to reach them and what kind of content they should offer. For example, The Gen Zeds are desensitized to ads and marketing messages, so marketers need to find a way to make their messages click and stick.
- Shopping Preferences: Gen Zers are more likely to shop online than in-store, while Millennials are the opposite. Generation Z knows their way on the Internet and can verify if a brand or a product is legit or a rip-off. *See how Gen Z is shaping the future of shopping podcasts.
- Brand Loyalty: Gen Zers are less brand loyal than Millennials, meaning they’re more open to trying new products and brands. Being open to other options can be both good and bad for businesses, depending on how well they’re able to keep up with the latest trends.
- Impulse Purchases: Gen Zers are more likely to make impulse purchases than Millennials, meaning they’re less likely to research products before buying them. Gen Zers are more susceptible to marketing messages and promotions with the right offer and strategy.
- Word of Mouth: Gen Zers are more likely to trust recommendations from friends and family than traditional advertising. Businesses need to focus on building positive word-of-mouth buzz if they want to appeal to this group.
- Price Consciousness: Gen Zers are very price conscious and often looking for the best product deals. Pricing can be a challenge for businesses that need to find ways to stand out from the competition on price. Don’t get us wrong; Gen Zers are willing to pay more premium if it matches their quality, values, and preferences.
- Social Causes: Gen Zers are more likely than Millennials to care about social and environmental causes. Organizations must consider how their products and actions affect the world around them if they want to appeal to this group. Known as “The Woke Generation,” Gen Zeds are more likely to endorse or cancel a brand or a product than any other generation.
Marketing to Pinoy Gen Zers vs. Millennials
When marketing to Gen Zers, it’s essential to focus on digital channels since this is where they’re most active. Social media is vital, as is creating compelling content that can capture their attention. It’s also important to focus on value and deals, as this group is very price conscious.
When marketing to Millennials, it’s essential to focus on building trust and relationships. This group is more likely to respond positively to personal recommendations so word-of-mouth buzz can be very effective. It’s also important to focus on quality over quantity, as Millennials are willing to pay a premium for products that are of quality and sustainable.
The Gen Zed Aspirations
There’s no question that Gen Zers are an ambitious bunch. They’re constantly striving to improve themselves and their situations and have big dreams for their futures. Whether making a difference in the world or becoming financially successful, Gen Zers want to achieve great things. We expect the Gen Z generation to bring changes with many environmental and geopolitical challenges.
How big is the Future with Gen Zers
As the largest generation in history, Gen Z is poised to impact the economy in the years to come significantly. They’re already making their presence felt, and businesses are starting to notice.
According to recent estimates by The Philippine Statistics Office, the Filipino Gen Z (aged 0- 20) will account for around 45% of the Philippine population. That’s nearly 45 million people! And as they enter their prime spending years, their economic power will only grow.
Gen Zers are already spending money on travel, experiences, and food. They’re also very interested in causes and social issues and willing to spend their money on brands that align with their values.
In the future, Gen Z’s spending power will only continue to increase. Businesses that cater to their needs and wants will be well-positioned for success.
How the Gen Zers use the Internet
Gen Zers are the first true digital natives. They’ve grown up with the Internet, and their lives have been shaped by it. As a result, they use it in very different ways than other generations.
For Gen Zers, the Internet is a tool for connection and creativity. They’re constantly sharing content and engaging with others online. Social media is a big part of their lives; they’re very comfortable using it to communicate and express themselves.
Gaming is an essential activity for Gen Z
Gen Zers love to play games online, and they’re very good at it. They’re quick to learn new game mechanics and always looking for ways to improve their skills.
Many Gen Zers see gaming as more than a way to pass the time. For them, it’s a form of self-expression and a way to connect with others. They’re also very competitive, and they take their gaming seriously.
If you want to reach Gen Zers through gaming, it’s crucial to create an engaging and challenging experience. Gen Zers will quickly lose interest in too easy or repetitive games.
How Gen Zers Shop
Gen Zers are used to researching products and comparing prices online before making a purchase. And they’re not afraid to buy things sight unseen; they’re comfortable making purchases without ever seeing or touching the product in person.
Gen Zers are very trusting of online reviews. If they see good reviews from people they trust, they’re more likely to make a purchase. So, if you want to sell products to Gen Zers, you must ensure your online presence is vital and that you do your best to get a five-star.
Another thing to remember is that Gen Zers love discounts and deals. They’re always looking for ways to save money, so be sure to offer them some incentives when they shop with you.
How do Gen Zers consume social media being social media natives?
Social media is critical to Gen Zers. It’s how they stay connected with their friends and family, and it’s also how they consume content.
Gen Zers are very active on social media and comfortable sharing their thoughts and feelings online. They’re also very comfy interacting with brands on social media. Nearly half of Gen Zers say they’re likelier to buy from a brand they follow on social media.
If you want to reach Gen Zers, social media is the place to do it. Make sure you have a strong presence on the platforms they use most and create content that resonates with them.
Generation Z is synonymous with diversity.
Gen Zers are the most diverse generation in history. They’re comfortable with people of all backgrounds and very open-minded.
Diversity is essential to Gen Zers, who are attracted to brands that celebrate it. Inclusivity is also important to them; they want to see themselves represented in their products and services.
If you want to reach Gen Zers, focusing on diversity and inclusion is integral. Make sure your marketing materials reflect the world they live in and be sure to create products and services that everyone can enjoy.
As the largest and most influential generation in history, Gen Zers are a powerful force to be reckoned with. They have their unique values and priorities, and they’re not afraid to spend their money on brands that align with those values.
If you want to connect with Gen Zers and sell them products they love, it’s essential to understand what makes them tick. With the right digital tools and strategies, you can reach this powerful group of consumers and turn them into lifelong fans.
- The Characteristics of Generation Z and How to Market to them - July 22, 2022
- LeapOut Digital is Now a SEMrush Agency Partner - December 16, 2021
- Your Guide on Mega Sale Days in the Philippines: How to Foolproof & Maximize Your e-Commerce - December 10, 2021